We are so often busy with our lives, wants and needs that we forget to give a thought or two about our one and only home – The Earth. This Earth Day here are some five easy ways to protect the our planet from getting damaged further.
- Turn it off – Once you are done with using appliances, lights etc do not forget to switch them off immediately. More often than not we charge our phones and leave the switches on even though we are done. Small and simple everyday changes will help save quite a lot. Encourage others around you to do the same. Use minimal lights in the mornings, try to soak in the natural lighting which is is good for your body and health.
- Every drop counts – We very often take water for granted. This is one resource which keeps us and the planet alive. With the current water crisis in the country, we need to make sure less water is wasted by us. Rain water harvesting is one way in which everyone can conserve water. Also in your daily chores like washing utensils and clothes make sure the water consumption remains optimal.
- Plant a tree – Plant more trees around you. We are cribbing about the scorching heat every summer and the temperature is ever soaring! The reason for this is lack of greenery around us. Keep small plants in your balcony near your window, this will keep the air fresh as plants release carbon dioxide. What’s more? The greenery and colorful flowers will your day a positive start.
- Food waste: Wasting food has become like a trend. Always cook enough to fill your stomach and not the garbage bin. Keep in mind to use vegetables and fruits before they start rotting. Food scarcity is one the biggest crisis the world is facing. Liking Facebook posts with pictures of hungry children will not help, but this definitely will!
- Carpool/Ride a cycle – Have you ever seen those people who drive huge cars and they are the only ones in the car? Well these people might think they are definitely living the ‘life’, but they fail to understand they are adding to existing damage already done to the planet. Try your best to carpool and for short distances use bicycles. Cycling will help you stay fit and your fuel money gets saved too!